Maybe you’re considering DIY beauty for your big day as a way to save money, or maybe you’re feeling too nervous to even consider it! Many women struggle with this choice. Wherever you’re at in your decision, we’ve come up with some pros & cons for you to consider.
- The Overhead: If you are in the habit of doing your own hair and makeup, you might already own all the expensive essentials. This means you will save a lot of money by doing it yourself.
- Convenience: You won’t have to book a 4-hour block at a salon first thing in the morning on your big day. This means you can do your hair and makeup at your own pace when you are ready. It will likely last longer if you can do it closer to the start of your event.
- You’re the Expert: It’s probably true that no one knows you better than you do! You know exactly how you want to look and you won’t have to explain your vision to anyone else. You’ll also be able to easily touch up your hair and makeup throughout the day.
- Helpers: If you have a family member or friend whose style you love, you can ask them to help you out. This might be a good way to involve a loved one who doesn’t already have a part in your big day.
- The Overhead: You’ll need to have all the makeup you plan to use, quality brushes, a curling iron or straightener, really good hairspray and a ton of bobby pins. If you need to purchase all this, you might not be saving money in the long run.
- More Homework: You will need to do more research if you plan to do your own hair and makeup on the big day. This means watching online tutorials and doing a few trial runs. Make sure you do some trials where you wear your hair all day to see how it holds up. Maybe even throw in some dancing! You’ll also need to take photos from every angle, in natural light as well as with a flash, to make sure your makeup is perfect.
- Stress: This is a tricky one. Unless you are absolutely confident in your hair and makeup abilities, you might put more stress on yourself by choosing the DIY route. You want to reduce the amount of stress you have on your big day, not add to it.
There are many things to consider when it comes to DIY beauty. Remember that you won’t always save money doing it yourself if you don’t already own the rom everyday makeup; you’ll need more layers than you are probably used to. If you can’t decide, try doing a trial run and see how it goes. Whatever you choose, we know you will look absolutely beautiful on your big day.