Congratulations on your nuptials!! If you find yourself ready to book a venue, but you are full of wedding ceremony venue questions, read on! We are here to help you through your entire wedding planning process. This includes online checklists, guides, inspiration, and more, all found in your Mi Padrino dashboard! Sign up for free at app.mipadrino.com/sign-up/!
To find the best ceremony venue, you’ll want to ask all the right questions. To start, you want to book a tour date and time well in advance. Whether it be your significant other or your grandma, make sure that whoever is helping you make big decisions for your wedding can come with you on these tours. It will help to have a second set of eyes with you… and it will also help afterwards when you just cannot remember what the answer was to that one question!
We want you to feel totally relaxed when you go to choose a ceremony venue. We have come up with a list of questions to ask, so nothing will be left out. It’s really helpful to review this list, to be sure you are asking all the right questions when you go tour your wedding ceremony venue. There are so many things that can play a big part in your wedding day. A pretty important part of this is figuring out how many people fit, what services will be available to you, how long you can have the venue for… and many more details! Be sure to check out our downloadable guide at the end of this article to keep track of your questions and answers at your tour!
Vendors understand that you need to know every detail in order to decide on a location for your big day. At the moment of your tour, they work for you!! Their only job is to focus on you, and the questions that you have for your big day! You want to make sure they address any concerns you may have. Trust us, you aren’t being obnoxious by asking them everything you can think of! Take turns at asking with the person that you brought along for your tour if you need a break!
Basic Things You Need to Know
These are the questions you will ask at every venue location you visit. It is important to get a good understanding of how this venue will fit in with your budget, your style, and your projected event date.
- Is the date we want available?
- How many people can we have at our ceremony?
- Is there a reception spot on location as well? How many people will fit in that space?
- Is there a “Get Ready” room available for use onsite?
- Do you provide decorating services or recommend a vendor for these services?
- Do you allow food on the premises?
- Do you allow alcohol on the premises? Are there any restrictions?
- Do you have music, a piano, or organ available for use onsite?
- Do you provide a pianist or other musician? If not, do you have a musician that you recommend?
- Do you have a sound system available for use?
- Do you allow outside officiants?
- What requirements do you have for the officiant?
- Do you have an onsite event coordinator or event planner?
- Do you have onsite rooms to rent out? (If this is a ceremony and reception venue)
- Does this venue have a recommended hotel nearby?
- What is your outdoor space like?
- How many hours will our rental cover? What about set up
- Do you allow time to set up/take down before and after the event? (You will need at least two hours of setup time at your venue.)
- What parts of the venue will we have access to with our rental?
- Will your staff assist in setting up and clean up?
- How many bathrooms does the venue have?
- What kinds of restrictions do you have?
- Do you have a dress code?
- How many events do you allow on the same day? (This is very important! You do not want to have your set up time-limited because the venue booked another event right before yours.)
- What are your policies regarding deposits, cancellations, and refunds?
- What sets your venue aside from others? Are there any special perks?
Is Your Wedding Ceremony Venue Outdoors?
If you are planning an outdoor ceremony, these are some important questions to ask before you choose your ceremony venue. We’ve seen beautiful garden ceremonies ruined by the horrible weather! Make sure that the venue has the proper backup options so that your event can go off without a hitch, in case of bad weather!
- Do you have a backup location in case of inclement weather?
- Do you have tents available?
- Is there a reschedule policy? (Some venues will allow you a two hour reschedule bump for rainy days)
- Do you spray for insects, such as bees and wasps?
- Is there anything else I should prepare for, for an outside ceremony?
How Are You (and Your Guests) Getting To and From the Ceremony Venue?
Do you know how you are getting to the ceremony, and from the ceremony to the reception? These questions are often forgotten or put off until later. However, these details can make a large impact on the comfort of your guests and yourself.
- How far away is my reception venue from this location?
- Is there any traffic around here to be aware of?
- Do you have parking available onsite?
- If not, where should we park? How many spaces are available here? Do we need permission from anyone?
- Do you provide valet services?
- Is public transportation available?
- Are there taxi services available in the area?
- Does your venue provide any shuttle services to nearby hotels?
- Is there anything else I should know?
Odds & Ends:
These seemingly random questions are just as important as the others, although they are often forgotten! Will your grandmother be able to hear the ceremony? Will the vision you have for a candle-lighting ceremony become a reality? Reduce some of your stress by getting answers to these questions.
- Is there a coat check? (For winter weddings)
- What is your electricity like? (This is important for your sound system.)
- Is this venue wheelchair accessible?
- Do you provide other services for disabled or elderly guests?
- Do you have decoration limitations?
- Are we allowed to have candles or open flames? Sparklers?
- Can we throw things like rice, glitter or confetti?
- Are we allowed to rearrange things?
- Do you have discounted prices for less popular days? (Friday or Sunday)
- Do you have discounted prices for your off-season? (November-March)
Ready to start asking? Use our Ceremony Vendor Question Worksheet to keep track of your answers at your tour! We hope this guide has helped you in your planning! Be sure to comment below if you have any suggestions for additional wedding ceremony venue questions to ask!!
Love these pictures? Check out Rancho La Mission!