What to Wear to a Quinceañera: The Ultimate Guide
SCORE! You’ve officially been invited to a quince años celebration! For some, it may be your first time attending one. For others, you may have been to many. Either way, right now you’re probably thinking “what on earth am I going to wear?!” It’s not just a random, small, get together birthday party. Quinceañeras are a BIG deal.
What is a Quinceañera Exactly?
A Quinceañera is a girl who’s turning 15. In the US, the word quinceañera is also associated with the party itself. A quinceañera isn’t just a huge birthday party for a 15-year old, it’s a rite of passage. Although it may be compared to a sweet 16, a quinceañera incorporates a ton of traditions and dances. This can be pretty exciting to see, especially for someone who has never been to a quince party!
Now that you have a gist of what a quinceañera is, this can help you envision what you’re walking into. Keep reading for our recommendations on what to wear to a quince!
What Do You Wear to a Quinceañera as a Guest?
Often, the invitations will give you some insight into what you should be wearing (ie; Formal Attire). You will have to ask yourself a couple of questions to determine what you’re going to wear.
- WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
- Location can be a big factor when deciding what to wear. If the quinceañera is taking place outside or at home, then it is usually acceptable to dress casually.
- WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR IS THE EVENT BEING CELEBRATED?
- Is the quinceañera being held in the summer or in the winter?
- DO THEY MENTION A SPECIFIC THEME?
- In some cases, some quinceañeras may include in their invite that you have to dress according to the theme. An example is having to bring a mask for a masquerade theme quince!
- ARE YOU PART OF THE CEREMONY?
- If you are part of the quinceañera ceremony, it is expected of you to dress more formal. If you are just an invitee, you will be able to get away with dressing semi-formal.
These questions will definitely help you get a head start in determining what you should wear to a quinceañera, but you probably have some specific questions in mind too… Keep reading for general rules and tips!
General Quinceanera Guest Etiquette Rules & Tips
- Tip #1: Do NOT underdress.
- This means NO jeans, NO shorts, NO sneakers. The only exception to this rule is if the quinceañera is taking place outside or someone’s house.
- Tip #2: Dress Modestly
- Keep in mind that quinceañeras have many religious aspects. If you’re attending the religious ceremony, make sure to be appropriately covered.
- Tip #3: Remove Hats/Sunglasses
- If you wear a hat or sunglasses, make sure to remove them when entering the church. This doesn’t mean that you should take off your sombrero at a charro themed event!
- Tip #4: Avoid Matching the Quinceañera
- Find out what color the quinceañera’s dress is and avoid wearing it. It’s her big day and she’ll probably want to stand out!
- Tip #5: Bring Comfy Shoes
- The best part of a quinceañera is all the dancing, so make sure to bring a second pair of shoes! You want to be able to ditch the heels to dance all night!
- Tip #6: Bring a Stain Remover
- Mmmm, we can already smell the mole and barbacoa from where we’re sitting! Spilling mole on yourself may happen though — it happens to the best of us — so make sure to be prepared! Plus, you might even end up saving the quinceañera’s day as well!
What to Wear to a Quinceañera as a Female Guest
There are many options on what to wear to a quinceañera as a woman! Here are a couple ideas of good options!
- Little Black Dress
- Maxi Dresses
- Tube top Dresses
- Light-colored Dresses
- Cocktail Dresses
- Simple Floor-length Dresses
Make sure you choose an outfit that fits your body type just right! We recommend not wearing anything too tight… and something you can dance in!
What to Wear to a Quinceañera as a Male Guest
Sorry boys, you don’t get as many options on what to wear compared to the ladies, but you can still look great. Make sure to also refer to tip #1 when figuring out what to wear as well!
- Long Sleeve Button-Down Shirt
In some cases, it is appropriate for the men to wear jeans and boots, especially for a charro or Mexican theme quinceañera.
What Kids Should Wear to a Quinceañera
We, of course, can’t forget to dress the kids! Quinceañeras are usually family-friendly events, so there will be tons of little primos and primas running around. We offer 3 main tips, so you can ultimately decide what your kids should wear to a quinceanera.
- Tip #1: Dress Comfortably
- Your kids will 100% be running around with all the other kids, and we’ve seen too many kids take off their shoes and book it. Try to avoid anything problematic on their feet, and also try to avoid any tight-fitting clothing.
- Tip #2: Bring Extra Clothes
- If you’re attending the ceremony, you can dress up your kids more formally for that, and then you can change them into more comfortable clothing once you get to the reception.
- Tip #3 Minimize the Accessories
- Although you may want to dress up your kids for the quinceañera, try not to overly accessorize them. There is a high chance that your child may end up losing any accessories, like headbands and jewelry.
Overall, you want to dress up and be as comfortable as possible. If you are still unsure about what to wear, please reach out to the family that is celebrating the quinceañera. They won’t mind you asking, and you will be able to get a perfect answer for their event!
Have fun at the quince!